Choose your Paddle
Selecting the right pickleball paddle is crucial for beginners to enjoy the game and develop their skills. Here are some essential factors to consider when choosing the best beginner pickleball paddle:
USAPA Approved: Ensure the paddle is approved by the USA Pickleball Association (USAPA). Approved paddles meet the required standards and can be used in official tournament play.
Weight: Opt for a lightweight paddle, typically ranging from 6.9 to 7.8 ounces, as it allows for better control and manoeuvrability, especially for new players.
Graphite Face: Graphite paddles are generally better for beginners due to their larger sweet spot, providing more forgiveness on off-center hits, and helping players find the optimal striking area.
Core Material: The core of the paddle plays a role in its feel and power. Polymer cores offer good control and comfort, while Nomex cores offer more power but may have less touch.
Grip Size: Choose a grip size that feels comfortable in your hand. A proper grip size will prevent hand fatigue and improve control over the paddle.
Below are what we consider to be amongst the best beginner paddles on the market.
Now, let's take a closer look at the top three beginner-friendly pickleball paddles mentioned earlier:
Key Features of the Diadem Hero;
- Weight: Lightweight with easy swing action for beginners.
- Face: HMT fibre for quality performance and a large sweet spot.
- Bumper: Thicker bumper for added protection during learning phases.
- Core: 8mm honeycomb core for effortless power generation.
- Style: Available in stylish Blue and Orange colour options.
- USAPA Approved: Tested and approved for tournament play.
The Diadem Hero is arguably the best beginner paddle on the market at under £50. It's USAPA approved meaning you can use it in tournaments around the world and that the paddle itself is built to last. They also come in two striking colour ways, blue or orange.
Key features of the Paddletek Phoenix;
- Weight: Ideal weight for quick exchanges and manoeuvrability.
- Face: Large sweet spot with an embedded graphite layer for comfort and reduced vibrations.
- Core: Advanced PolyCore interior for improved accuracy and control.
- Design: A balance of power and agility for players of all levels.
- USAPA Approved: Suitable for official tournament use.
A store favourite here at The Pickleball Store. The Paddletek Phoenix is a great all round paddle featuring some pretty high tech features such as a vibration dampening handle and an advanced polypropylene control core.
- Weight: Lightweight between 6.9-7.9 oz for fast net play.
- Face: G4 Control Graphite Face for excellent control and feel.
- Core: Polymer Rev-Core technology for consistent hits and feel.
- Grip: Ultra-Comfort Grip for maximum comfort during extended play.
- Edgeguard: Edge Sentry Edgeguard for durability and balance.
- USAPA Approved: Approved for tournament play.
If you are looking for a stand out paddle for the court that carries the world renowned Selkirk name the SLK Latitudes are a great choice. With a G4 Control Graphite face the SLK latitudes are great beginner and improver paddles.
Selecting the right paddle for you as a beginner pickleball player is essential for a positive experience on the court. The Diadem Hero, Paddletek Phoenix, and SLK Latitude are top contenders for the best beginner paddle on the market, each offering lightweight design, graphite face technology, and excellent performance for players starting their pickleball journey. Remember to consider weight, face material, core technology, grip size, and USAPA approval when making your decision. Armed with the right paddle, you'll be well on your way to enjoying the exhilarating game of pickleball to the fullest!